The Leading Reading Schools of India Awards The Leading Reading Schools of India Award, an annual award was established by in the year 2013 Young India Books; India’s foremost review site of children’s books, to recognize and honour the five leading schools of the country; schools that believe in the power of the written word and inculcate a love for books and reading.
"I am thrilled at the fact that - The LEADING READING SCHOOLS of INDIA AWARD 2014 has been organized for students across India. The engaging & unique competitions will surely develop the language and literary abilities of students helping them to showcase their talents. Truly, it’s a platform whereby students can hone their writing, reading, imaginative & creative skills. In today’s day and age, when students are loosing out on their reading & writing skills, such initiatives should be applauded. Kudos to all those involved in this stupendous effort!" said Dr Vandana Lulla, Director/Principal, Podar International School, Mumbai.
The theme for the year 2015 Award was Wild about Wildlife. Books that showcased Indian wildlife; a fast dwindling heritage, had been recommended for the reading list. 30 books were selected for the recommended reading list out of which these were The Top Ten Books
to emerge as the favourites.
Here is what Raza H. Tehsin, Naturalist, Explorer & Hon. Wildlife Warden, Udaipur has to say about the awards, “The Leading Reading Schools of India Award is an excellent initiative. Hope it encourages more and more children to discover the joys of reading and be, Wild about Wildlife.”
Children got to let their imagination go wild! The little ones wrote about a day in the life of an animal, or, they illustrated a scene from a book. Older children beautifully placed themselves in the animals shoes and came up with some very touching work. Their passion for the animals, concern for the loss of habitat and poaching is remarkable. Click here to find out which Progressive schools from around the country registered
- The Five Winning Schools were arrived at based on the quality of their students work, participation and library programmes.
- Authors of the books plus others scrutinised the entries. The short-listed entries were then submitted to the Jury Panel comprising of a galaxy of eminent personalities
- Winning schools received a citation plus and a big hamper of books.
- Winning children received a certifcate, plus a gift voucher from Crossword. Their works will feature in several magazines and social media sites.
- All children received a participation certificate. Plus, all entries are showcased on the website.