How to Write a Great Review
➢ Read the book a couple of times.
➢ What was the book about? Try to describe it in a couple of sentences without giving away the ending.
➢ What was your favourite part of the story? Why did you like it?
➢ Who is/are the main characters? Tell us something about them. What happens to them in the story?
➢ What sort of book was it? Was it a picture book, a chapter book, a fantasy book, a nonfiction book?
➢ If there are illustrations, how did they help tell the story?
➢ Did you like the book? Why or why not? What was good about it? Did any parts make you laugh? Which ones? Did you feel as if you were looking through the main character's eyes?
➢ You might want to add some more.
WRITING THE REVIEW
• Write an interesting starting sentence for your review. Some people like to start with a question or a quote.
• The name of the author and the book title and the main theme.
• Relevant details about who the author and his background???
• The context of the book and/or your review
• What aspect of the book do you wish to discuss about -The thesis
• A summary of the content
ANALYSIS AND EVALUATION OF THE BOOK
• Your analysis and evaluation should be based on your assessment and organized into paragraphs. Each paragraph dealing with a single aspect.
• If you find it useful to include comparisons to other books, keep them brief so that the book under review remains in the spotlight.
• Quote from the book to support the points you make.
• Sum up your main points and make the final judgment regarding the book.
• This paragraph needs to balance the book’s strengths and weaknesses in order to unify your evaluation.
These are mere guidelines. Feel free to add something more or, even ignore some tips.
Befor submitting read your book review aloud to yourself and check for spelling and punctuation. Keep the language precise.